Sunday, August 12, 2007

Self-published authors share their experiences and frustrations

Yes, taking that leap to become a published author
can be a little scary. And selecting the right publisher for
your book can be tricky. Sometimes the answers are just as confusing
as the questions. Get ready to hear from the authors themselves--
writers just like you who researched publishing companies and
made the best decision for their book.


Join us sharing in their hopes, fears, and dreams;
they may sound familiar to you...


“After
five years of trying to work with traditional publishers, vanity
presses, and literary agents, I found Outskirts Press, Inc.
That was less than a year ago. Today my book, The Unlikely Agent,
is listed on Ingram, Amazon.com, and Barnes and Noble. But how
was Outskirts Press to work with? They did everything they said
they would and sometimes even more. Their people are friendly,
helpful, and very understanding of a first time author. Ask
a question and it is answered promptly and completely. My experience
with Outskirts Press has been positive and I will definitely
use them again when The Unlikely Sleuth is finished.
Thank you.” - William Walker, author of The
Unlikely Agent




“After
three books and four years with a literary agent, I was unsuccessful
getting published. I decided to look into self-publishing and
spent a great deal of time researching prospective publishers.
I decided on Outskirts Press because of their professional reputation
in the industry. What a fabulous decision! It only took a few
short months to have my book in my hands and it was exactly
how I envisioned! Thanks Outskirts Press! Get ready for my other
two books that I'm planning on publishing soon!” - Thane
C. Crozier, author of Dreams
Come True




“I've
been shopping manuscripts around since I was thirteen years
old, and I've got a box of form rejection letters a mile high.
Nothing made me stop believing in myself, but Outskirts Press
was the first publishing company to give me a chance. Through
Outskirts, I've been able to do more than get published--I've
been successfully published. My book is available in hardback
and paperback; customers will find it at Borders and in other
bookstores. Through this process, I've been able to retain complete
creative control of my little vampire story--no one told me
what cover to use, what the price was going to be, or what to
change in the manuscript itself. My book is still mine. Because
of Outskirts, my book can now be yours, too--I've never been
this happy with any decision in my professional life.”
- Marcus Damanda, author of Teeth




“I
have been trying to find a good publisher for the past 15 years.
I was so discouraged by rejections and poor suggestions about
my illustrations that I packed my book away in the basement,
and there it sat until I found Outskirts. I have been delighted
with Outskirts' service. My Author Representative was very helpful,
as well as encouraging and friendly. Since I drew my own color
illustrations for my children's book, Outskirts Press provided
me step-by-step instructions on how to prepare them into a print
ready file. A lot of publishers are not willing to take the
time to show you the tricks of the trade. As a matter of fact
I am so encouraged that I am now working on my second children's
book.” - Sally H. Taylor, author of The
Magic in You!




“There
are no words to describe the joy I am feeling deep inside. For
approximately eleven years, I have searched for just the right
publisher who would make my dream of becoming an author come
true. You and your team have gone above and beyond my wildest
imagination of how my book would ultimately turn out. It is
beautiful! I would recommend Outskirts Press to anyone seeking
publication while still maintaining total control of their works.
My next book will definitely be published with Outskirts Press
and the wonderful people who make getting it done so comfortable
and easy. Thank you, thank you, thank you!” - Janice Harris,
author of The
Journey