Tuesday, August 14, 2007

IPOD Listening - All About the Amazon Sales Ranking

Right before my recent book SELL YOUR BOOK ON AMAZON was published, I was interviewed about the Amazon Sales Ranking for a podcast. The audio interview is available via the play buttons below. I figured I would include it here since we touched upon my book in the last posting as I try to play catch-up with all that has transpired in the world of print-on-demand book publishing since my updates last spring.

It was my intention through this interview (and by writing the book itself) to dispel many myths about Amazon, its sales ranking, and publishing on-demand in general, particularly as it applies to self-publishing writers. A common misconception that occurs in relation to the Amazon sales ranking is an author's belief that the ranking is a quantifiable indication of book sales. The ranking is more complex than that. Sure, there is no doubt that the latest Harry Potter book (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) is selling millions of copies and therefore has a #1 ranking on Amazon (which it has held for months before its release). But what does a ranking of 454,000 mean? Or, furthermore, what does it mean when a book's ranking jumps from 3 million to 700,000 in one day? Does that mean hundreds of books suddenly sold? No. (But it MAY mean that 1 sold).

The interview started on the subject of the Amazon Sales Ranking, and then we found ourselves discussing many other aspects of Amazon as well. You can listen to it using the buttons below:


I hope you enjoy it and find it informative.